The other day, while eating lunch with some girlfriends, I was asked, "What was the hardest thing about going? And then, what has been the hardest thing about coming back to the states?"
This might be my favorite question yet.... and the answer came pretty immediately.
TIME.
I had a super hard time two years ago adjusting to the 'slower' pace of life. It wasn't the crazy horns, the different foods, or even the smells. It was time.
I realized that I was used to cramming my days with as many activities as possible whether it be work, church related activities, hanging with friends, or family. So to move to a place that took life a little slower was hard. I found myself having, what I thought was, WAY too much time to sit around and think.
Funny thing is this slower pace of life actually became one of my favorite things about being overseas!
The same answer is becoming true with our return to the states.
TIME.
I'm no where near the schedule I carried before going overseas, but even still, I feel like I'm super busy all the time. Whether it's doctors appointments, visiting with friends and family, job hunting, or attempting to organize our lives... we're busy.
Honestly, I think part of the busyness is self inflicted to distract myself and my heart from all the emotions I'm feeling.
I love, miss, and think about India every day!
And at the same time I love being with family and friends here!
I've got so many emotions (does it help that I'm almost 35 weeks pregnant?) to work through....
All this to say, In the last month we've...
made it back to America safely
been loved and spoiled by family and friends
found out we are having a GIRL, Elsy Kate
started the search for Joe a job... (I'm cutting hair out of the house till after Miss Elsy gets here)
had multiple speaking engagements
filled all our silly American cravings
enjoyed the insane amounts of snow
began the adjustment process ( I wouldn't by any stretch of the word say we've adjustED but...)
etc.
now if I could just be a little more consistent with this thing... maybe that'll be one of my 'nesting' goals.
**all the pics in the post today are stolen from siblings cameras when we arrived back in the states Jan. 7

Awesome :) yay!
ReplyDeleteTime! Totally... although right now I feel like the pace of life is crazy over here (but I'm sure it will feel slow once we go to the states!) Enjoy your "time" pre-baby :)
Great post :)