Monday, March 7, 2011
8:00 AM - We made our way to the clinic for our 38 week check-up. After spending a couple weeks in a state of discomfort, we were anxious to see if I (and Miss Elsy) had made any progress. Joe and I agreed that even the smallest amount of progress would be encouraging. I had been dilated to 3cm for weeks and had decided that I was done being pregnant.
Wish granted.
8:20 AM - To say that my Doctor was shocked to see that I was 7-8 cm dilated and 100% effaced is an understatement. And for that matter, we were shocked too. It definitely hadn't sunk in that we were going to have a baby, especially that day.
After hearing the news, our primary concern was that my Doctor wouldn't get to deliver Elsy due to a track meet she was attending that afternoon. She was quick to assure us, "Oh, Elsy'll be here before the meet!"And on that note, she prayed with us, and ordered us to go straight to the hospital.
It was such a rush! We didn't take the time to enjoy the moment or even think about it being our last hours as a family of two. Instead, we spent the next few hours calling, texting, posting and smart-phoning anyone and everyone in our contact lists about the news. Beyond that, we had to get our family to the hospital, Elsy was quickly on her way!
8:50 AM - I'll never forget the conversation I had with the receptionist as we tried to check in to the hospital through the ER. Here's how it went down:
ME: "I need to check-in to labor and delivery"
ER: "Oh, so do you think you are in labor?"
ME: "Apparently."
ER: "Do you think you can walk yourself up there?"
ME: "Sure."
Really, I didn't mind. I just wish I would have taken the time to finish my Sonic drink and banana that was stowed in my purse for an occasion such as this.
9:10 AM - With my gown on and IV in place, we waited for our Doctor to arrive to break my water.
Believe it or not, at this point I felt great. I felt better than I had felt for weeks. On a pain scale (10 being unbearable), I rated at a zero. Little did I know that I was having contractions every 4 minutes.
10:02 AM - Doctor arrived to break water. Contractions now 2-3 minutes apart.
11:07 AM - After showing no sign of progression, they decided to start me on a pitocin drip. And I decided go ahead and order my epidural. I had debated getting one up until this point, but I had a considerable amount of back pain and I wasn't liking it.
11:33 PM - The anesthesiologist arrived and gave me the epidural. Thankfully, I was able to feel my toes and have complete control of my legs throughout labor.
11:57 PM - Time to push.
12:05 PM - Bethany arrived and scrubbed-in. The only request on my birthing plan was for my sister Bethany to aide in Elsy's delivery. I was so thankful it all worked out for her to be there and help bring her niece into the world.
12:38- 1:26 PM - We worked hard to get Miss Elsy Kate here. Joe was incredible! We were a little nervous with how he'd do. He tends to get a little squeamish over medical stuff, but he was just the encouragement I needed. He fed me ice chips, held wash cloths on my face, and counted to 10 flawlessly!
1:27 PM - ELSY KATE FUTTERER arrived, weighing 7 lbs. 3 oz. and measuring 19 inches.
It's still hard to describe the feeling of being a new parent. But as for the events of her arrival, those few hours were the quickest and slowest, most mind blowing and most unforgettable four plus hours of our lives!
We are praising and thanking our God for the blessings of our sweet baby girl. May she grow and live life every day upholding the meaning of her name, "My God is my Promise!"
8:00 AM - We made our way to the clinic for our 38 week check-up. After spending a couple weeks in a state of discomfort, we were anxious to see if I (and Miss Elsy) had made any progress. Joe and I agreed that even the smallest amount of progress would be encouraging. I had been dilated to 3cm for weeks and had decided that I was done being pregnant.
Wish granted.
8:20 AM - To say that my Doctor was shocked to see that I was 7-8 cm dilated and 100% effaced is an understatement. And for that matter, we were shocked too. It definitely hadn't sunk in that we were going to have a baby, especially that day.
After hearing the news, our primary concern was that my Doctor wouldn't get to deliver Elsy due to a track meet she was attending that afternoon. She was quick to assure us, "Oh, Elsy'll be here before the meet!"And on that note, she prayed with us, and ordered us to go straight to the hospital.
It was such a rush! We didn't take the time to enjoy the moment or even think about it being our last hours as a family of two. Instead, we spent the next few hours calling, texting, posting and smart-phoning anyone and everyone in our contact lists about the news. Beyond that, we had to get our family to the hospital, Elsy was quickly on her way!
8:50 AM - I'll never forget the conversation I had with the receptionist as we tried to check in to the hospital through the ER. Here's how it went down:
ME: "I need to check-in to labor and delivery"
ER: "Oh, so do you think you are in labor?"
ME: "Apparently."
ER: "Do you think you can walk yourself up there?"
ME: "Sure."
Really, I didn't mind. I just wish I would have taken the time to finish my Sonic drink and banana that was stowed in my purse for an occasion such as this.
Believe it or not, at this point I felt great. I felt better than I had felt for weeks. On a pain scale (10 being unbearable), I rated at a zero. Little did I know that I was having contractions every 4 minutes.
10:02 AM - Doctor arrived to break water. Contractions now 2-3 minutes apart.
11:07 AM - After showing no sign of progression, they decided to start me on a pitocin drip. And I decided go ahead and order my epidural. I had debated getting one up until this point, but I had a considerable amount of back pain and I wasn't liking it.
11:33 PM - The anesthesiologist arrived and gave me the epidural. Thankfully, I was able to feel my toes and have complete control of my legs throughout labor.
11:57 PM - Time to push.
12:05 PM - Bethany arrived and scrubbed-in. The only request on my birthing plan was for my sister Bethany to aide in Elsy's delivery. I was so thankful it all worked out for her to be there and help bring her niece into the world.
12:38- 1:26 PM - We worked hard to get Miss Elsy Kate here. Joe was incredible! We were a little nervous with how he'd do. He tends to get a little squeamish over medical stuff, but he was just the encouragement I needed. He fed me ice chips, held wash cloths on my face, and counted to 10 flawlessly!
1:27 PM - ELSY KATE FUTTERER arrived, weighing 7 lbs. 3 oz. and measuring 19 inches.
We are praising and thanking our God for the blessings of our sweet baby girl. May she grow and live life every day upholding the meaning of her name, "My God is my Promise!"
almost cried! So happy!
ReplyDeleteWhat an exciting day! It was SO fun to finally meet Elsy Kate! She is one LOVED little girl!
ReplyDeleteOh, I am so jealous your labor and delivery were so easy! ;) What a blessing that time was for yall! Way to go Joe! Love yall so much and I'm so thankful our long awaited blessing is here! (yes, she is OUR blessing too!;)
ReplyDeleteI admit, I've been checking every day waiting for this post describing the day of Elsy's arrival. We are amazed that you were between 7&8 and had no idea... and were feeling great! Amazing!!! We are so proud of you Mama! Loved reading your story, praise God for such beautiful and unforgettable moments in our lives! And praise God for sweet little Elsy! We can't wait to meet her, and see you and Joe again! Love you!
ReplyDeleteWhoo hoo! Awesome! What a great post! LOVE IT! Great pics too! I love your hospital gown belly pics!
ReplyDelete