Saturday, February 6, 2010

Make-Up Artist

I was sharing, with a national friend, about the difference in our culture the other day. One of the biggest difference in the  area of "beauty" is the color of the skin.
Here in India, we see commercials and products that push the product because it lightens the skin. They have bleach as an active ingredient in their Olay soap bars. (I try to steer clear of these products in fear that my skin might become translucent!)
In America, it seems to be quite the opposite. The "sun kissed" look is preferred. You'll find lotions that will supposedly make your skin look darker. (I've tried them, and they just made me look orange!)
Anyway, I really enjoyed sharing the other day with one of my national friends about my experience with the tanning bed. (She had never heard of such a thing) She couldn't get over the fact that I had "laid in a bed of bulbs" consistently for a couple of months just so I wouldn't be the exact shade of my wedding dress. The more I explained, the more silly it sounded!


Yesterday I had the opportunity to go to a friend's house. She just finished studying cosmetics for 2 months and needed to work on her portfolio. Since my skin, in this culture, is coveted she was excited when I accepted her invitation.
We had a great couple of hours together talking about life, the Word, eating chocolate cake, and taking "snaps" in front of the Christmas tree in her clothes! (Her girls bunked (skipped) class so they could be home for the occasion)
Hope this helps her portfolio! It sure was fun :)

Me and my Make-up artist, Before


During


In Make-up Artist clothes.... After


My Make-up Artist's beautiful daughters, and the Christmas tree.

And because I'm so proud of myself I just have to add... I rode the Metro all by myself! I know people do it everyday, but it was a first for me. Didn't have any problems either, once I found out where I was originally. (It's hard to know where you are going if you don't know where you are right now!)




3 comments:

  1. I can't get used to seeing you with that much make up on! But tell your friend that she did a great job! And, the more I think about tanning, the more outrageous it sounds...what were we thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!
    The question is... did you wear that makeup on the metro? :) yay for the metro by yourself!! whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are too funny! I sure miss you, girl. Love this post. It made me laugh pretty hard.
    Congratulations on your first solo metro ride! My biggest solo task was going to the grocery store alone. Needless to say, I don't do that too often...even still. Love you, sweetie!

    ReplyDelete