Friday, September 10, 2010

It's Raining. It's Pouring. Amberley is snoring.

I've posted before about the crazy rains in our city. It all started this year on the 4th of July while I was trying to enjoy my pulled pork bbq sandwich, green grass, and fireworks. It hasn't stopped raining since!

We were here for the so called monsoon rains last year , but they only lasted a couple of weeks. With all of the rain we've seen this year, we can now say we truly know what a monsoon season is like.

So what is it like? Monsoon Rains mean:
-We get momentary relief from the heat and humidity
-The crops get more than their share of drinking water.
-The children have free access to community pools (see video below)
-I get super sleepy (or is that due to the little one growing inside me? hummm...)
-The roads get torn up
-The traffic is crazier than normal
-The men ride their motorcycles with umbrellas open to keep their work clothes dry and their feet up on the handle bars to keep their feet dry
-The clean clothes don't dry for days
-Constant standing water
-The mosquitos are terrible
-Dengue Fever outbreaks all over the city
-The Common Wealth Games construction is no where close to completion

After all the rain we have had, there seems to be no sign of stopping. The papers and other local news outlets are saying that the rain will continue through this month and into the beginning of next. Crazy!

Please take a second and lift up:
-those families who live under a tarp on the sidewalk and can't escape the rain.
-all those who have Dengue fever and for those who have lost loved ones due to this terrible mosquito born sickness.
-the construction and preparation, that continues to make our city look like a war zone, for the CWG's Oct 3-14.

The following is a video of the children in our neighborhood enjoying our flooded park. I guess it could also be referred to as the community swimming pool these days. I had to document this just in case you thought I was being overly dramatic.

2 comments:

  1. I love rainy days... which equals sleepy napping days.. but this is craziness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's supposed to rain until October?????
    Fun video! They're having fun :) Awesome :)
    Is that in front of your house or behind it? Is your street flooded too??

    ReplyDelete