Friday, January 29, 2010

Granola Bars...


Since being back in country, Joe looked at me and said, "Now I know why America was such culture shock." You see, we've been here long enough to think of this as normal. We've learned though that normal for here doesn't not equal normal in America!
Anyway... to my story.
We have a sweet couple that are letting us use their car while they are in America. It is such a blessing. It's amazing what "freedom" comes from having your own set of wheels again.
So the other day we were sitting at a stop light. (This is the one that we can typically sit at for a good 45 minutes!) While we were waiting for the light to turn green, a few young boys came up to try and sell us the latest issue of "People", dish towels, or random volleyballs. We smiled and shook our heads saying that we weren't interested. They left and a sweet little boy came up to the car with a rag in his hand. He moved from the front of the car to the drivers side window. With a sad little face, he began putting his hands to his mouth whispering, "booka" and "khana" (hungry and food/feed me).
 I'm really bad about forgetting to keep food in my purse, but that day I had a granola bar. Not just any granola bar, but an American, chewy, peanut butter chocolate chip granola bar. I'm not going to lie, I was a little hesitant to give him the bar because I didn't know if he would appreciate or like it! I did end up giving up the granola bar.
 I handed the bar to Joe who, being the smart guy that he is, opened the wrapper before rolling the window down. This insured that the sweet little boy could enjoy it, and not have to give it up or try to resell it.
 We watched, from the car, as he looked the bar over. He looked at us, and then took a tiny bite of it. He looked at us again and his whole face lit up! He then ran back to the guys on the curb and sat eating his granola bar. He ate every bite of it before the light turned green.
 As the light turned green, and we drove on, our little friend waved with his whole body in appreciation for the food. His little belly was so happy!!!

Reflections from this experience:
So many beggars, when you give them something, throw it down and beg for something else. Usually money, instead of food. It's so frustrating to give something....like my leftover Papa John's pizza...and watch someone not be appreciative. Don't they know that it was a sacrifice on my part?! On the other hand, it's so exciting to give something and watch them light up with excitement and joy.
I've been reminded from the Father that I myself need to check my gratefulness. I need to be appreciative and thankful for the gifts that the Father gives me. The Father sacrificed so much more than his favorite granola bar on my behalf. He sacrificed His only Son! Plus, I need to give regardless of the reaction. The Father knows my reaction...which isn't always good...and yet He still gives anyway. Father, make me more like you!

Ps. 50:14 "Make thankfulness your sacrifice to God, and keep the vows you made to the Most High."

1 comment:

  1. Good story and great lesson. Perhaps we can send you some granola bars to spread the joy!

    ReplyDelete