"I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstance." Philippians 4:11-13
I'd like to say that after a year of living overseas I've learned true contentment. But I'm afraid that I'm going to have to save that for a future blog post. Sure I have found that I can be content having to live out of 6 suitcases, not having a dryer for my clothes, and having to make everything for dinner from scratch - including rotel. But I have yet to become truly content in all things. I pray someday I will.
Thankfully, I was directed toward a truth that I have so often over-looked. Paul, the co-author of the book of Philippians, used the key word "learned" in this verse. Praise the Lord, contentment.... true contentment can be learned!
Last month, while we were nagotiating our lease agreement, the Father began to show me some areas of my life where I need to learn contentment with my circumstances. You see, our landlord wanted us to sign a lease agreement saying that we'd pay for all eleven months of the lease even if we don't stay the full time. We tried to share with him that we wanted to stay the full time, we have no plans of leaving before next January, but we couldn't sign the agreement with that clause. What if something happened to Joe tomorrow? What if something happens to a family memeber back in America? What if the water in our new flat never works? What if.... What if... What if...
How many times a day do I play the what if game with our heavenly Father? The truth is though, that He says:
"...Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy- think about such things." Philippians 4:8
After spending some time today in the Word and meditating on this verse, I'm choosing to think about the things right now in my life that are praiseworthy. Like the blessing of our new niece, Olivia Tonette, on Saturday. Even while we were in Goa, and completely removed from the world, our Father allowed us to find internet in a hotel lobby. We were able to see our sweet little niece just moments before her first bath!

No comments:
Post a Comment