Friday, September 11, 2009

Jyoti's Journey

Names are a big deal. They are super important and meaningful. When meeting someone for the first time, I always enjoy asking them what their name means. Here in South Asia, everyone knows what their name means. Maybe they are a big deal back in the states too, but I thought you only knew the meaning of your name if you found it framed in a Hallmark store. Or if you paid attention when your parents told you what it meant. Me... I missed out on both of those! Never once have I found my name in a Hallmark store, and I'm pretty sure I got caught telling this huge fabricated story of how I got my name. Oops! Sounded good to me.


Anyway, I was given the name Jyoti (pronounced Joe-T) after arriving here in the Big D. It means light. I like it! It fits. Daily I'm hoping that my life is shining a light in this place. Hence the name of the blog. I'm just hoping that this blog will serve as a flashlight into our everyday lives here.

Plus, I need a way to document this crazy adventure that we are on, and thought it would be fun for you to see it from my perspective. Hope "we" enjoy it as much as I think "we" will!

2 comments:

  1. i love the new blog sis!!!! keep the updates and pics coming!! the one's of you in the commercial- wow- can i have your autograph??? you star you! hey, you need to help me come up with a clever name for our blog....noticed everyone's got great names...ours is a little bland! love you sis!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new blog! I am so excited I'll be getting your perspective on things. I mean, obviously I love my brother-his pictures, his stories-but it will be fun to read your take on life in the big city! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete