Meet our new language "helper". She's so much more than a helper though. She's a teacher.
There is a huge difference between the two. Between my personality and my formal education growing up. I prefer a teacher. She's so sweet, soft spoken, and super encouraging.
Not only are we finally getting to learn spiritual vocabulary, we are learning lots of cultural things along the way. I don't know if we'll ever know all the culturally appropriate things to do in this country. But we are having fun learning through trial and error. Thankfully these wonderful people show lots of grace since we are foreigners. Usually they just laugh at us if we do something wrong.
Cultural Appropriate: To apologize to some one, grab your ear lobes and give a little tug while turning head to the side a little. Eyes looking down while tugging. *Level of apology is obvious. You only grab one ear if your just a little sorry. You grab both ears if you are extremely sorry.
**We were told that children in the schools will have to stand in the corner tugging their ears while keeping their elbows parallel to the floor as punishment.
Which is better, the hand cramp from writing 'I'm sorry' 500 times or your ear lobes stretching out? I'll take the hand cramp (my ears are big enough... thank you)

haha! That's awesome! :)
ReplyDeletehaha. thanks for that interesting info.
ReplyDelete